heeb'n'vegan

"I've noticed that quite a lot of people who are prominent in the animal liberation movement are Jews. Maybe we are simply not prepared to see the powerful hurting the weak." --Peter Singer (Author, Animal Liberation)

10.15.2009

Sarah Silverman: Heeb and Vegetarian

It's no secret that comedian Sarah Silverman is Jewish. She regularly discusses Jewish themes in her comedy routines. She appeared on the cover of Heeb magazine's "The Sex Issue" while holding up a sheet with a hole in it, and the cover story called her "the Jewish girl next door who isn’t quite like you." And Jewlicious called her "everyone’s favorite hot Jewish babe comedian."

Whether Silverman is vegetarian, though, had been harder to determine. Vegetarian Star, a vegetarian celebrity gossip site, has debated that question several times this year. On Tuesday, The PETA Files cited the November 2009 issue of Marie Claire for the following quotation from Silverman:
When I was 9 or 10 years old, my dad took me over to a neighboring farm to help get stuff for the meal. The farmer, Vic, told me to look at all the turkeys and pick one out. I saw a cute one with a silly walk and cried, 'Him!' Before my pointing finger had even dropped to my side, Vic had grabbed the turkey by the neck and slit [the animal's] throat. Blood and feathers went flying. I had sentenced that turkey to death! Up until then, I didn't know where meat came from—and I've been a vegetarian ever since.
This is an exciting revelation, but Vegetarian Star's caveat from June might still be true: "There’s always the chance Sarah is one of those fish eating vegetarians or has some other technicality that doesn’t make her one."

3 Comments:

  • At 10/19/2009 3:43 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Oh yay! I'm so happy to have stumbled upon your blog, but I have some sad news for about Sarah Silverman that will end all veg debates about her -- if you are willing to trust a random, anonymous person on the internet.
    I have a friend that works at a fancy meat & cheese shop in Manhattan who gets a few celebrity peeps stopping by. Ms. Silverman came in one day and bought some kinda pig-meat, so neither kother nor veg there... whoops!

    Sorry to burst your bubble cyber-world. Maybe she was buying it for a friend...? :-p

    Best,
    Sarah (another sarah. i am not sarah silverman... or am i?)

     
  • At 3/25/2010 6:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    omg she is and definitely would not eat pig meat! maybe for some voodoo witchcraft ritual. probablly for some voodoo witchcraft ritual. okay you got me, it's me, and it was for some voodoo witchcraft ritual. just dont fu*k with me and i wont have to use it BILL COSBY , degrading me online, for the shame!

     
  • At 5/05/2011 1:10 PM, Anonymous Inversiones en oro said…

    hello, i think that is important to read post like this, because help us to find good information.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home