Yesterday, Jewschool noted that Orthodox social justice group Uri L'Tzedek has launched a new Web site, UTzedek.org. Jewschool wrote, "There are tons of Torah sources, activist resources, events, volunteer opportunities, information on where to eat at Tav HaYosher (ethically certified) restaurants [including Sacred Chow], and more."
According to The Jew & The Carrot, 15 restaurants in New York City now carry the Tav HaYosher seal. Uri L'Tzedek aims to spread the seal to five new cities in the coming year.
Swine Flu DVD
I quoted Dr. Michael Greger, director of public health and animal agriculture for The Humane Society of the United States, extensively in my first post about swine flu back in April. Dr. Greger's new DVD, Flu Factories, focuses on the link between factory farming and the spread of animalborne flu viruses. At HumaneSociety.org/SwineFlu, you can order a copy of the DVD or watch each of the 40 chapters individually.
In Flu Factories, Dr. Greger says, "There are at least 10 reasons why industrial pork production can present such a breeding ground for disease." He goes on to explain the role of all 10: the sheer number of animals, geographic density, severe crowding, stress, lack of fresh air, lack of sunlight, cesspools of waste, disease vectors, pharmacological crush, and long-distance transport.
The Slaughterhouse Formerly Known as AgriProcessors
The trial of Sholom Rubashkin begins on October 13 in South Dakota, and Failed Messiah's Shmarya Rosenberg is hoping to collect donations and attend the trial. Rosenberg said, "Writing in the Columbia Journalism Review, Nathaniel Popper noted that FailedMessiah.com provides 'some of the best' coverage of the Agriprocessors raid and its aftermath. To continue providing this level of coverage, I need your help."
Without a doubt, Failed Messiah provides some of the most extensive coverage of the AgriProcessors raid and its aftermath. The following is just a sample of some of Failed Messiah's posts in the last month:
- Rubashkin Family Importing and Distributing South American Beef Under Tevya's Brand, Kosher Industry Expert Says (9/17)
- Rubashkin Lawyers File Lawsuit Over Raid (9/20)
- AgriProcessors Update (9/24)
- AgriProcessors Update, Part 2: Department of Ominous Relationships (9/25)
- AgriProcessors CFO Pleads Guilty (9/28)
- National Jewish Groups, Bishops, Congressperson Join in a Call for 'A New Beginning' at AgriProcessors (9/30)
- Exclusive: Pro-Rubashkin Ad Placed in Des Moines Register That Irked Judge Tied to Levi Balkany, Grandson of Aaron Rubashkin (10/1)
- Pro-Rubashkin Ad Irks Judge (10/1)
- Postville Video: De Facto Deportees (10/1)
- Rubashkin Trial Documents (10/2)