heeb'n'vegan

"I've noticed that quite a lot of people who are prominent in the animal liberation movement are Jews. Maybe we are simply not prepared to see the powerful hurting the weak." --Peter Singer (Author, Animal Liberation)

4.26.2010

Etc.

Update on Punk Jews
In September, I blogged about Punk Jews, a documentary in production about unconventional practice of Judaism. Punk Jews will now be an online documentary series instead of a feature-length documentary film. The filmmakers are hoping to raise $10,000 in the next couple of months and are accepting donations through Kickstarter. In return, donors can get CDs, concert tickets, DVDs, or even a Shabbat dinner.

Recent Punk Content on Jewcy

It should come as no surprise that ever since Jason Diamond (formerly of the bands Fear of a Blue Planet and Shabbos Bloody Shabbos) took over as editor of Jewcy, the blog has featured some terrific punk content, Jewish and otherwise.

Check out Jewcy's interview with The Taqwacores author Michael Muhammad Knight, whom I've blogged about a few times myself. Patrick Aleph from CAN!!CAN has a post about PunkTorah's brand-new English-language siddur and tips for writing your own. There's a whole series about "Jewish Punk Rock Baseball"; in the first post, Josh Intrator of the Sleepies is asked about his favorite ballpark food and says, "I would say the classic ballpark hot dog but since becoming a vegetarian I'll have to go with the garlic fries at AT&T Park in San Francisco." There's also a review of the new book Gimme Something Better: A History of San Francisco Bay Area Punk Rock.

The Four Questions: Classic and Infamous?
I started heebnvegan's "The Four Questions" interview series in November. I have featured only six interviews in the series. After being featured in the fifth post, the Gangsta Rabbi blogged that the series was "classic." After reading Matisyahu's interview in the sixth post, Matthue Roth (who was featured in the third post) called the series "infamous." I'm very amused by the reputation that "The Four Questions" is getting, and I don't understand it at all.

A Few Quick Points
  • Vegetarian Star noted that vegan (and Jewish) actor Alicia Silverstone is working on Butter, a film about a butter-carving competition. As a three-time veteran of peanut-butter sculpting, I think that peanut butter is a suitable vegan alternative to butter when it comes to sculpting and carving.
  • If you're looking for a vegan cooking show with a heavy metal edge, look no further than Heavy Metal Vegan Cooking.
  • I counted the omer on a blog in 2007 and considered counting the omer on Twitter last year. Earlier this month, Jewschool featured a post about efforts to count the omer on blogs, Twitter, and Facebook. I like to think I was ahead of the curve.
  • A post on The Jew & The Carrot sought to weigh desires to be vegetarian and the traditional cuisine of Jewish deli meat. The writer concluded, "I have chosen to be vegetarian, but I will always be a card-carrying delitarian. I’ll just have to admire the pastrami from afar."
  • Failed Messiah posted about a kosher chicken slaughterhouse that narrowly avoided closure after discharging more than four times the limit for waste.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home