heeb'n'vegan

"I've noticed that quite a lot of people who are prominent in the animal liberation movement are Jews. Maybe we are simply not prepared to see the powerful hurting the weak." --Peter Singer (Author, Animal Liberation)

5.25.2008

Go Visit a Farm Sanctuary

Today I went to Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary in Maryland for the first time. I'd previously been to Farm Sanctuary, United Poultry Concerns, and Ooh Mah Nee. Animal sanctuaries rescue farmed animals, take care of them, and let them live out their lives. It's great to see animals in such surroundings rather than on factory farms. Visiting a farm sanctuary helps vegetarians remember why animals should be allowed to live in peace and not be raised for food and demonstrates that point to people who have never been exposed to it before. The 400-acre Poplar Spring Animal Sanctuary is home to cows, horses, goats, sheep, pigs, geese, chickens, and turkeys.

I was reminded of how much I love pigs. They're such sweet-natured animals. One pressed his snout against my pant pocket until he broke a box of Tic-Tacs, which I found rather amusing.
Jake weighed 2,200 pounds and was taller than I am. He would've been killed at a few months old for veal, but he was rescued and just kept growing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home