heeb'n'vegan

"I've noticed that quite a lot of people who are prominent in the animal liberation movement are Jews. Maybe we are simply not prepared to see the powerful hurting the weak." --Peter Singer (Author, Animal Liberation)

5.29.2007

Eretz Yisrael, Here I Come!


I'm getting ready to leave for a Birthright trip. I went to Israel with my parents when I was 15, and I'm greatly looking forward to appreciating "The Homeland" in a different light. The trip has a "Peace, Pluralism, and Social Justice" focus, and I'm going with two friends: Jessica from Vegan Jews Against Genocide and Michelle from the Vegetarian Choir.

There are many questions on my mind. Is there anything more glorious than 10 days of falafel, hummus, pita, and vegetarian schnitzel? Will I be able to use the Jewdriver yarmulke I got from the band's bassist (Kilgore Gefilte), or will I have to rely on the more appropriate kippah that I'm taking as a spare? Did I go overboard in decorating an Empire Kosher water bottle (found at a yard sale) with animal rights stickers? Is there any chance that the Israelis joining our tour for a few days will include members of Useless ID? What will it be like going on a trip that promotes peace while the tension is escalating?

My air guitar is already packed.

4 Comments:

  • At 6/11/2007 12:35 AM, Blogger KleoPatra said…

    Hope you check in with your news soon! How AWEsome that you are there!!! Wishing you the best... SHALOM!

     
  • At 6/11/2007 6:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Israel doesn't just have great food, it has fantastically CHEAP food as well!

    I hope you get everything you hope to from your visit.

     
  • At 6/11/2007 8:28 PM, Blogger heebnvegan said…

    Thanks for the good wishes, folks. Israel was wonderful. One recap post down, at least one more to go. :-)

     
  • At 7/11/2007 9:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tremendously enjoying your "travel journal" on your recent trip to Israel.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home